Our chef Carla García offers us recipes for all tastes, interviews, tips and gastronomic tips
This is abrioche dough type bun enriched with nuts, candies, raisins and candied fruits.
There are many stories and legends about the origin of this sweet. Some say that the history of this bun was born around 1490, when a young man of high birth fell in love with the daughter of a Milanese pastry chef.
Posing as an apprentice, he began to work with the girl’s father to be closer to her and that was when he invented this sweet. His fame spread through the city as the Pan de Toni, which was the name of the young man, deriving the name from panettone or panettone.
HOW TO MAKE A CHRISTMAS PANETON
For the bun to develop all its incredible flavor, it is essential to use little yeast and leave the dough to ferment for many hours, as indicated in the recipe. You see that it is similar to the process of the Roscón de Reyes, even a little more.
The recipe is easy but so as not to discourage anyone, but also not deceive you, I have to admit that it is not a recipe that is made in a moment. The kneading process is difficult and a large dose of patience is necessary to respect the ferment times, this is where its complication lies.
Despite everything, I encourage you to prepare it, the result is a much softer and fluffier panettone than those usually found in stores.
You will surely love the result.
-20 gr Yeast
-35 gr Milk
-8 gr Sugar
-40 gr Flour
- We start with the preferment. In a small bowl we mix the warm milk, not hot, with the yeast and let it dissolve.
- Add the flour and sugar and mix well, until it becomes a sticky and homogeneous dough.
- We cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it double its volume.
- Or we can also do it inside the dry ingredients. In the same way (see video).
-400 gr. Flour
-6 gr. salt
-70 gr. sugar
-70 gr. milk
-3 pcs. yolks
-2 tbsp. vanilla essence
-2 tbsp. orange blossom water essence
-2 tap. coñac
-15 gr. yeast
-70 gr. butter (cream point)
w / n remaining water
-150 gr. chopped walnuts
-70 gr. chocolate sprinkles
- In a jug add the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla essence, azhar water, brandy, milk, yeast
- The only ingredients we don’t add are butter, nuts, and sprinkles.
- We begin the kneading process, initially in the bowl and then on a work surface.
- We mix the flour and salt, then we make a hole where we have already made the previous ferment (optional), or we add the ready-made ferment. Then we add the liquids, mix to incorporate the butter in cubes, mix in the bowl until completely unified.
- Finally we add additional ingredients (chopped walnuts and candies).
- Then we add a little flour on the counter, place the dough, and begin the kneading.
- In the kneading process we will spend about 15 minutes. With this time we will have achieved an elastic, moist and shiny dough.
Rest of the dough, baking and final presentation
- We make a ball with the dough and place it in a bowl. We cover the bowl with a bag and then with a cloth, we let it ferment for 1 hour.
- The intention is to achieve an environment of about 22ºC to 25ºC so that the dough works in the best conditions.
- After this time we see that the dough has grown to double its volume.
- We break the bubbles by manipulating it and on a surface we form 400g balls with a very smooth surface.
- We place the ball in the special panettone paper mold. We repeat the raising process for 1 hour.
- The panettone will have grown back, coming out of the mold a bit.
- We bake with the oven previously hot at 180º C for 15 to 20 minutes and then we lower it to 160g we finish cooking.
- You already know that each oven is different and that the baking time can vary, to more or less time.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on a rack. It is important that once the panettone is baked, we let it cool upside down.
- In order to avoid it getting off and getting a much fluffier crumb. With a minimum of 1.3 hours.
You can decorate with a glaze, I invite you to see it in the video with the step by step.
* Recommendations for a delicious panettone
- The use of sourdough or preferment is very important. Although in other recipes they do it without it, my advice is that you do it as I tell you in the recipe.
- It gives it a flavor that cannot be achieved with rapid fermentation.
- Don’t hesitate, cook this classic panettone! , worth.